Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Band sues Coldplay for Copyright Violations

For those of you who haven't heard, a local Brooklyn Band, Creaky Boards, is suing Coldplay for copyright violation. Namely, they claim Chris Martin and Company stole the melody from their song "Songs I Didn't Write" for the title track of their most recent album, Viva La Vida. It's close, but not quite the same. The interesting part of all this mess is that I work with one of the guys in the band here at Borders. The person who made the accusations is really the only mainstay in the band. The rest are rotatinbg players. I think by this point he may have dropped the suit. Smart move. Love the band though, check them out below.



Here's a video of another one of their songs. The guy I work with, Eric, is the bassist. I'm going to try and catch them here in town on Friday at the Mercury Lounge. This song is pretty rocking.

2 comments:

Justin DLC said...

You've got to be kidding me. The suit involves a song titled "Songs I Didn't Write"???

Although they're playing Mercury Lounge on Friday, I have a strong feeling that this band isn't big enough to make a blip on Martin and co's radar.

Matt said...

Great way to get press for your band.

Bombardiers should sue Radiohead over "Creep."