In poor spirits, we left the parade route to grab some dinner. We went to Astro's Diner. This throwback joint served greasy food and flat coke. Another swing and a miss. Hey, at least the waiter was friendly.
Earlier today Stephanie had her first job interview here in New York. It was for a position similar to the one she had been in at the Brogan. This time it is at a gallery in Midtown. She thought it went really well, and they seemed to like her a lot. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Remembering reading something about the New York Philharmonic Orchestra playing a free concert in Central Park tonight, we headed north into the park. We took our time walking by the lakes and under the canopy paths. We didn't expect the scene that awaited us ahead. Sometimes it's easy to misjudge the popularity of a free event in the city. One day you can go out and be one of a handful of people. We expected to find maybe a thousand people out in the park tonight. We didn't expect to find "61,000" people there, according to the New York Times. We could see the stage and barely hear the music from about a mile away when we entered the great green space. People were parked on blankets, drinking wine, and having a candlelit evening all over the place. I've never seen so many people in one space. I'm not sure how much you can see, but here's a video of the crowd followed by a clip of the orchestra. (I just watched the video and realized how fast I moved the camera, sorry. Please don't get sick on your keyboard.)
When we got home I turned on the TV expecting to find the All-Star Game over with. We would have gone had it not been impossible to get a ticket to the last All-Star Game ever being held at Yankee Stadium. The game was in the 8th inning, but it would beb another three hours before it was over. It was a pretty amazing game, well defended on both sides. I had been wearing my Boston cap all day (in New York City!) and was happy to see J.D. Drew win the MVP award; a Bo-Sock and a Seminole.
With the morning fast approaching, it is time to get some sleep. I have an interview tomorrow with Borders Park Avenue. Steph has another interview with a different gallery as well. It's going to be a big day!

No comments:
Post a Comment