“The Japanese izakaya boom continues with this inexpensive restaurant near Union Square.” I have no idea what izakaya means, but I was really glad to find a good place to have some sushi. On the sushi-haru sushi tastiness meter this place scored about a 7 out of 10. The atmosphere was awesome in this little Union Square sushi cafe. It was very modern, but still cozy at the same time. See the photo to the left (stock photo, sorry we didn't take our cameras out in the middle of the restaurant.)
Stephanie ordered her usual plum wine (a little too sweet for me), and I got a nice plum wine and sake cocktail. It was pretty tasty. The miso soup was exceedingly delicious, but the ginger salad didn't really hold a candle to Jasmine's Cafe.
We ordered three rolls: a Philadelphia roll, a shrimp tempura roll, and a black rain roll. The Philadelphia roll was really good. It was the best salmon I've ever had in a sushi roll. The other two rolls were just alright. The Black Rain was a big tuna roll with sesame seeds and black roe. It was really just big and pretty, but not that great for the most expensive sushi I've ever bought.
Anyway, Ariyoshi gets 7 out of 10 stars. I'd go back, but I'm going to explore my possibilities first.

No comments:
Post a Comment