
We left Tallahassee before the dawn. The only audible sounds were that of the truck's engine and our heartbeats. It is a strange feeling to be driving this road for the last time. Every other time we've taken this trip up north we've eventually come back. This has been home for six years. That's the longest I've ever lived in one place. It is hard to move forward while thinking of what we're leaving behind. Family, friends, bandmates, co-workers, jobs. Tallahassee. It's funny. We couldn;t wait to get out, but parting is still such sweet sorrow. We hadn't even left the city limits when we had our "mishap" with the cat. He was scared and had an accident in his box. The smell was unbearable. We had to pull over in a gas station parking lot, but gallons of water, "borrow" bathroom paper towels and sponge him off. I held him to the asphalt. Stephanie scrubbed. It was not the way we wanted to start this trip.
The coffee slowly worked its way through my veins as I bacame more and more comfortable with driving this tank of a truck. We took 319 all the way up to I75 making our usual stop at the Hardees for breakfast, of course. From here on out we were to take a new route, one that would allow us to bypass the tangled and tragic knot that is Atlanta's interstate system. It was a beautiful drive. The whole time I was ascending and descending Georgia hills, passing cotton fields and open plaines, lakes and rivers I was wishing I was driving my car and not this truck. That would have been an awesome and fun drive in anything other than this vehicle. As it was, I found myself flinching at every downhill curve.
We arrived in Anderson shortly after noon. We only had to stop for gas once, and the pump cut us off at $99.00 - and we didn;t even fill up. I sure am glad I won't have to pay for gas after this trip. It has been a year and a half since we were up in South Carolina, but it feels like it has been longer. These boys are the closest to brothers that I have.
It was nice to see the Brooks if only for a day, and the break from driving was more than welcome. I think Indy was glad to be out of the box as well. I stayed up playing rock band far later than I should have, and have the blister on my thumb to prove it. I never did beat Matt in a head to head challenge.

Here is our first leg playlist:
Frou Frou – Details
Whiskeytown – Faithless Street
The Postal Service – Give Up
Jason Collett – Idols of Exile
Feist – The Reminder

No comments:
Post a Comment