By this point in the afternoon schools were beginning to get out and hopes of making it to the ones I have my eye on in Manhattan were all but lost. I also had to consider the fact that I wasn't dressed the part for an interview thanks to a lesson I learned about Brooklyn in the summertime in a shirt and tie on Tuesday. We headed out to get some lunch and visited a couple of New York tourism staples. When we actually live here, Steph and I have a plan to spend the weekends acting as tourists and hitting up all of the sites in the city. We are going to start with one of those tacky double-decker bus rides where they stop to gawk at every hole in the sidewalk where a star has spit and every building one was arrested in. We might even wear I Heart NY t-shirts and statue of liberty visor caps. We'll do it up properly. There will be pictures, I promise. As we took in the sites of the city I took some shots of the Apple Store, St. Patrick's, FAO Schwartz, and some other stuff I took while we were walking around.
We ran through Central Park and took note of all of the nannies acting as surrogate parents to the children of people too busy to be busied with their own children at 5:00 in the evening. Central park is beautiful by the way. Incredible. I know it is breathtaking on its own, but after walking around the concrete jungle of the city, it is such a breath of fresh air to see more than one two trees grouped together.
We were just in time to sneak into the Natural History Museum before it closed to check out the space exhibit, dinosaurs, and of course, the squid and the whale (though disappointingly, these are in separate rooms in real life). We didn't have time to actually look at any of the exhibits, but it is one of the first things I want to do when I have a whole day to explore the premises.
We ended up going back to Ray's for dinner. Hey, it's cheap and delicious. We then headed to Union Square where a series of non-violent protests were being held condemning China's actions in Tibet and calling for a boycott of the Olympics. I joined a mailing list for more info on the next protest. This is such a crazy place.

No comments:
Post a Comment