Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Look Mexico wins Subway Band of the Year Award!

Riding the subway this morning listening to This is Animal Music, Look Mexico's full-length, I realized that it was the quintessential subway soundtrack. I know this is a bold statement, but hear me out. The screeching of the brakes, the sound of the cars going over the tracks and the drums and bass all seemed to line up at one point on the 6 line from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I was staring off into space looking out one of the windows and I saw my reflection in the foreground while other cars, platforms, and people rushed past in the background. It was just a really cool New York moment for me.

Later on I was listening to Anberlin's Cities and the album really made sense to me for the first time. I don't know if it was because I had never truly listened to what the lyrics were saying or if it had something to do with being in the city for a week, but it just seemed to fit. Not bad for a band from Orlando, Florida. Just a coincidence I'm sure, but when the song Godspeed came on I was standing on the corner of Lexington and 51st. ..."Lexington, cross your veins"...

No comments: