Monday, October 13, 2008

Spinach Tortellini for Dinner - Yum!


I made this awesome spinach tortellini for dinner for my beautiful wife a few nights ago, and thought I'd share a picture with you (really, I just wanted to show off - 'cause it's so darn pretty). The whole dish was made from scratch and is fat free (minus the fat free part).

Here's how I made it (or as close to duplicating the recipe as I can get):

Matt's Stupendous Spinach Tortellini (Serves 2)

Ingredients:

For the dough:
  1. Flour (1 and 1/4 Cups)
  2. Butter (2 Tbsp)
  3. Egg (1)
  4. Salt (1 Tsp)
  5. Spinach (Processed, 3/4 Cups)

For the filling:

  1. Ricotta Cheese (1/2 Cup)
  2. Spinach (Processed, 1/2 Cup)
  3. Parmesan Cheese (1/4 Cup)
  4. Salt (1 Tsp)
  5. Pepper (1 Tsp)

For the sauce:

  1. Butter (1/2 Cup)
  2. Shallots (1/2 Medium Sized, Julienned)
  3. Sage (1 Tbsp)
  4. Salt (1 Tsp)
  5. Pepper (1 Tsp)
  6. Parsley (1 Tbsp)
  7. Milk (4 Tbsp)
Other ingredients:
  1. Tomatoes (Diced small, 1/4 Cup)

Here's what to do:

  1. Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil.
  2. Combine ingredients for the dough in a bowl and kneed until softened.
  3. Roll out dough on a flat surface (doing this on plastic wrap helps with rolling the pasta).
  4. Combine ingredients for filling.
  5. Spoon small amounts of filling along edge of dough.
  6. Roll dough forward until it forms a "skinny tube" and cut the tube off from the rest of the sheet.
  7. Cut the tube into two and a half inch pieces and form these pieces into tortellini shaped horseshoes.
  8. Drop the pieces into the boiling water until they float to the surface.
  9. Melt the butter in the frying pan while boiling the pasta.
  10. Add the shallots and allow them to cook down (about five minutes)
  11. Add the herbs and spices (to taste).
  12. Simmer the sauce and add the milk.
  13. Pull the tortellini out of the boiling water (don't use your hands) and add them to the frying pan.
  14. Allow the pasta to cook for a few minutes in the sauce.
  15. Plate the pasta in the middle of the plate and pour the sauce over it.
  16. Return the frying pan to the stove and cook down the tomatoes in the remaining herbs and spices.
  17. Add the tomatoes to the top of the pasta.
  18. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Justin DLC said...

Yowza. I didn't know you were so industrious. Maybe I'll try this out sometime.