Up here in New York City, Obama is King, err, um, President, and to utter McCain is equivocal to shouting a dirty word. However, if you look hard enough you can find the traces of both parties lurking beneath the skin of the city. Fanaticism seems to be the name of the game, and people simply cannot help but pour their entire spirits behind their candidate. Go to any sidewalk or street corner and you can find someone who has set up shop in support of the O-man. My favorite T-shirt thus far has got to be the “Obama is my homeboy” slogan strewn across tan cotton. And have you ever seen so many political buttons in one place? It seems that hobby of yours that you’ve been nursing secretly since the third grade school fairs has finally paid off. Now you’re Mister Popular. All because you can make magazine cut outs and printer rips into circular plastic buttons with aluminum backs. Let’s not forget about the McCaniacs, they’re out there as well. It may be harder to be a Republican in this city, but the die-hards are there. Actually, I think that this class of Republican may be the only class able to survive the harsh winter that is the New York political scene – nothing survives but the Democrats. And boy, can you say fanatical? How about crazy? Most of the time I encounter someone who is brave enough to spout their beliefs into this general populous they are muttering to themselves, pacing, shouting random thoughts about the state of the economy, education, racism, classicism, U.F.O.’s, the end of the world and the conspiracy that is the Yankees. Oh, well. I guess what I’m getting at here is that the last presidential debate will be here in the apple. It should be interesting considering its locale. No matter what your particular political persuasion I hope you get out there and check a ballot next month.
No comments:
Post a Comment